Who We Are

Our Field

The Central American country of Honduras is home to beautiful mountains, lush tropical jungles, dry dessert valleys, and Caribbean islands.

The people are as diverse and beautiful as its landscape. From indigenous Amerindians in their cultural clothing to the urban city dwellers with their smartphones, there is always someone interesting to talk to or something interesting to see.

Daily life for the poor is a harsh struggle for survival. In the States, we would call this “living paycheck to paycheck”. In Honduras, it is better described as “living meal to meal”. In the mornings, you will see ladies with giant baskets of bread and fruit on their heads, selling their goods to collect enough money for lunch. In the evenings, you will see the roadsides full of men and children carrying their bundles of wood home to cook that evening’s supper of beans and tortillas. 

Most of them are open to hearing about the Gospel, and searching for peace. This search for peace is evidenced in the following statistics:

  • Honduras is the second poorest country in Central America, with the average paycheck being $5 or less a day, (this can vary depending on location, employers, etc).*
  • It is estimated that there are approximately300,000 – 400,000 street children in Honduras, and 180,000 children classified as orphaned or abandoned.
  • Of the children classified as orphaned or abandoned and living in institutionalized care, upwards of 75% have at least 1 living parent who has chosen not to care for them. The vast majority of these institutionalized children have been rejected by their fathers.
  • Honduras consistently lands in the top 3 countries with the highest murder rate, and is considered one of the most dangerous countries to live.
  • Roughly 25% of women between the ages of 15-19 have given birth to at least one child.
  • 97% of the people are considered Roman Catholic, with the remaining 3% claiming a mix of various Evangelical denominations, Jehovah’s Witnesses, Mormons, and Eastern religions. 

In spite of all these intimidating factors (or perhaps because of them), Honduras is a mission field that is truly white unto harvest.  The children are open and welcoming to the joy and belonging that comes from a relationship with Christ. They are seeking a sense of identity and worth that only a heavenly Father can give them.

Please pray for us as we endeavor to be a witness of Christ’s love and good news in Honduras.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

1 thought on “Our Field

  1. Thanks for sharing. I did visit
    Rowaton, Honduras when I was on a cruise of the Eastern Carriban. We took a tour of the nearby area.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *